‘Unknown Device’ listed in the Device Manager
If you are having trouble getting Windows to recognise a piece of your hardware in the Device Manager and scanning for updates did not solve the problem then have a go at this solution;
- Open the Windows Device Manager
- Open the properties for the device in question. Click the Details tab. Make sure that "Device Instance Id" is selected in the drop-down menu on this tab.
- You will then see a string like this : PCIVEN_8086&DEV_2658&SUBSYS….
- In the example above 8086 (after VEN_) is the Vendor ID and 2568 (after &DEV_) is the Device ID.
- Go to http://pcidatabase.com and type the appropriate values into the Vendor Search and/or Device Search using the Vendor ID and Device ID you have just found.
- Refer to the Vendors web site for the appropriate drivers for the device.