HTTP Actions and 202 Responses

When calling a Function App that returns a 202 (Accepted) Status Code I found my HTTP action in my Logic App was returning a status code of 405 with the a message of “The HTTP ‘GET’ method is not supported by the ‘GenericJsonWebHookReceiver’ WebHook receiver.”.

This seemed a bit odd because I had tested my Function App using the exact same request using Postman and it was returning a valid 202 response. After reading a bit more about HTTP Actions (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/logic-apps/logic-apps-workflow-actions-triggers#http-action) the section on Asynchronous Patterns gave me the answer. To disable the asynchronous behavior previously described, set operationOptions to DisableAsyncPattern in the action inputs. In this case, the action’s output is based on the initial 202 response from the server.

Having made this change to the Logic App the server response was accepted and considered a success.

Advertisements

Visual Studio & Node JS

When you install Visual Studio 2017 it very kindly gives you the option to install Node.js

The only problem with this is that if you are not using v15.3 (or greater) of VS2017 then working with Azure Functions can present a couple of unusal issues.

  • Not being able to install the Azure Client Tools.
  • My application not being able to read from the local.settings.json file using the WebConfigurationManager.

The problem turned out to be the version of Node.js that was installed with Visual Studio and that I needed to update it to a more recent version. After completing the updated installation I was able to install the Azure tools and successfully read values from my local.settings.json file in my local development environment.

Azure func and Visual Studio

I had been running my Azure Functions locally to debug the processes when this morning the func.exe kept failing each time I pressed F5 and would not allow me to debug my code. The Storage Emulator on my machine was started and I could access it through the Storage Explorer and my application Properties were correct but func.exe would not fire up.

After a bit of head scratching I decided to fire up the func.exe outside of Visual Studio and run it against my project and func gave me the answer straight away.

I had been playing around with my local.settings.json and the entry for AzureWebJobsStorage was empty. Because the func.exe shuts down straight away when running in Visual Studio I wasn’t able to see the error but I could when I ran it outside of the IDE.