Reports.config has invalid schema, and could not be loaded.
It seems that a client’s server that had recently had an update applied to it (by someone else ) had caused some of the configuration settings to be changed on my Microsoft CRM website. Although my CRM system was operational there were two significant issues that required investigation;
- Warning notifications were appearing in the application event log of the server for the Microsoft CRM web application. For some reason it was throwing unhandled exception errors for an event source of ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0 – this was my first clue to the problem.
- When I tried to view the reports available within Microsoft CRM through the browser I was presented with an error dialog containing Reports.config has invalid schema, and could not be loaded.
After some research and comparison to my test server it soon became obvious that my CRM website had changed its ASP.NET settings from 1.1.4322 to 2.0.50727.0. To restore it to its original settings I ran the following commands from the command line;
- C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727aspnet_regiis -k w3svc/5/root
- C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322aspnet_regiis -s w3svc/5/root
- Perform an IIS reset.
The first command line removes the script maps to all versions of ASP.NET from all ASP.NET applications at the specified application root path and its subdirectories. The second command installs the script maps pointing to the ASP.NET ISAPI version, in this case v.1.1.4322, at the specified application path root and its subdirectories.
This solution stopped my unhandled exceptions from being generated in the event log and allowed me to view my reports within CRM again.
A couple of FYI’s for this process;