Windows Xbox Music App / Nokia Music playback issue

One of the problems I had with the Xbox Music App and Nokia Music App on Windows 8 was getting my music to play!

Having done the upgrade to 8.1 I was hoping the problem would be solved….but no…still just the error message withe the error number 0xc00d11cd (0x88890001) on the Xbox app. The Nokia Music app was even less helpful with its error message.

I checked the suggested solutions on the Xbox Support page but they didn’t work. Spent 20 mins chatting to Aaron from MS support about the issue. Even creating a new local profile and logging in that way didn’t help.

The next option was to search for other people with the same problem. The nearest I could find was a suggestion to modify the following registry key – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio\DisableProtectedAudioDG except I didn’t have any entry for DisableProtectedAudioDG so I created the DWORD value and set it to zero. A quick reboot later, restart the app and cross my fingers.

Problem solved. Both the Xbox Music App and Nokia Music will now play existing and streamed music. What’s annoying is that music played through Zune didn’t need this fix.